11 Fascinating & Under-Explored Female HP Characters
This pleases me so fucking much. Happiness in my soul omg.
We all know about Bellatrix’s badassery, Andromeda’s rebellion, Narcissa’s bravery, Lily’s sacrifice, Hermione’s brilliance, Luna’s unconventionality, Ginny’s passion, and Minerva’s awesomeness…but what about all the other interesting female characters often overlooked in the fandom? There are so many stories left untold or unexplored. Let’s just take a moment to appreciate a few of the Potterverse’s lesser loved ladies:
- Merope Gaunt - Merope is arguably the woman with the most influence on the events of the series as a whole, considering she brought Lord Voldemort into the world, conceived under a desperate love potion. There is so much in her twisted, tragic story to discuss and explore, as this fic does.
- Mrs. Crouch - Lily Potter wasn’t the only woman in the series to exchange her life for her son’s. Barty Crouch Sr.’s wife—the ‘frail, wispy little witch’ present at the trial in which her husband imprisoned his own teenage son for being a Death Eater—Polyjuiced herself into Jr. and wasted away to her death in Azkaban for him. That’s a hell of a sacrifice! Why are there not more fics like this one exploring the Crouches and their story?
- Ariana Dumbledore - Ariana’s story is haunting, with so much left unsaid. What exactly happened to her that day in the garden? What was her day-to-day life like? What were her relationships with Albus, Aberforth, and Gellert? A few great fics exist, but not nearly enough to provide answers.
- Eileen Prince - The woman who gave birth to the Half-Blood Prince surely had some fascinating tales of her own to tell. Why did this Pureblood witch marry an abusive Muggle? What was her upbringing of Severus? What were her own Hogwarts years like, especially since she went to school at the same time as Tom Riddle?
- Petunia Dursley - Petunia, I think, is one of the most deceptively complex and interesting characters in the series. If you don’t believe me, read these three fics and then try to say you don’t want to know so much more about this woman.
- Helena Ravenclaw - The Grey Lady’s monologue was far too short. What was her relationship with her famous mother? Who was her father? Why did she want the diadem so badly? How did she really feel about the Baron, just how well did she know Tom Riddle, and why did she choose to stay at Hogwarts for all eternity?
- Mrs. Zabini - Blaise’s ‘famously beautiful’ mother, with seven husbands all dead under mysterious unsaid circumstances, is definitely an intriguing character. I’d love to know all seven of her stories.
- Dorcas Meadowes - The Order of the Phoenix member who Voldemort took enough interest in to kill personally…there’s undoubtedly much more to her story. I found this idea to be stunning.
- Augusta Longbottom - Neville’s badass grandmother (she takes down five Aurors and fights in the Battle of Hogwarts!) has a heart-breaking past that’s absolutely worth exploring the ramifications of.
- Fleur Delacour - Fleur is often underestimated, even by her fellow characters. She was a Tri-Wizard champion and clearly much more than a pretty face. So why do other women hate her? And what, exactly, are the implications of her Veela heritage?
- Madam Rosmerta - I never put much thought into the life of the Three Broomsticks’ barmaid until reading this fic—now, it’s impossible to see her as anything less than captivating.
Petunia, I think, is one of the most deceptively complex and interesting characters in the series.
THIS. So much. And just, yes, to all of this.
I happen to have a minor obsession with a good number of the minor women in HP. It’s fine. Love.
Brian should start a new weight loss campaign. Low fat chips and less condiments are totally the answer to life’s problems.
Me: I’m really fat, right?
Brian: You’re not really fat.
Me: So I need to eat better but all I crave is Supermac’s chips
Brian: Just eat low fat chips, you’ll be grand.
Me: Low fat chips?
Brian: Yeah, just… use less condiments.